KFS Closes Twin Rivers Drive-in for 2023 Season
August 22, 2023
It is with great sadness that the Kamloops Film Society has decided to close up the Twin Rivers Drive-In for the 2023 season. We are thrilled to have finished on two sold out screenings of Barbie, which as we’re sure everyone knows, has been taking the world by storm. We are also very very thankful to all of our sponsors and supporters. We truly couldn’t have done this without you.
“Without the inherent amenities of McArthur Island, it has been a difficult go for the Twin Rivers Drive-In. In both 2022 and 2023 we have faced a plethora of obstacles, most of which we have eultimately surmounted. We have not given up yet because we’ve seen how excited people are for the drive-in experience. We will give it one more try, but we will need someone with land to step forward to help.” – Dušan Magdolen, KFS Executive Director
The main reason behind this difficult decision is that our blow up screen is just not doing well in the Kamloops winds. It has ripped repeatedly throughout this summer. Perhaps the location, orientation, or time of year (September) in 2022 had something to do with it, but we had no screen issues last year – Though we did have many others. Even with Nicholas from Interior Display Services saving the day multiple times, including bringing a sewing machine on site to sew up a hole the night of a screening, it just doesn’t seem wise to try to continue this year. Obviously, the current smoke outside and some other technical issues we’ve run into haven’t helped either.
We will try to regroup for 2024 and establish a more permanent screen that handles better in the wind. However, for that, WE NEED YOUR HELP!! We are looking for a location that is willing to commit to us for 3+ years. Unfortunately (for us)/ fortunately (for them), though Tk’emlúps te Secwepemc have been amazing partners, they have exciting plans for all of their land and can’t make multi-year commitments at this time.
What we’re looking for:
- 3-4 acres of flat, or sloped to one side, land that we can use for July, August, and September.
- Even though we will only be on site from July to September, we will need to leave some items, such as a more permanent screen, and perhaps a concession/ box office (in the future), on site through the winter months.
- Ideally within 30min (or less) of Kamloops
- The site requires vehicle access from at least one, or ideally two, points. Even small cars have to be able to enter.
- Other amenities like washrooms, power, etc, would be amazing, but are not necessary.
- Parking lots, farmer’s fields, etc. are all possibilities!
What we can offer:
- A small lease payment (we are a charitable not-for-profit after all)
- Sponsorship credit – if desired
- The opportunity to support an amazing community event!!
Please contact Executive Director, Dušan Magdolen, at email@example.com with any ideas/ suggestions. Please include contact information for whoever operates the land you are suggesting.